Driving School: The best gift a parent can give by teaching your teen safe driving
When you’re a parent, the day your teenager gets his or her driver’s licence can be both exciting and terrifying. While it’s great to have another driver in the house to pitch in for carpool or pick up groceries, a brand new driver also presents some new insurance challenges.
That’s why one of the best gifts you can give your teen driver is to teach them how to be a safe driver. This means both leading by example and providing them with the opportunity to go to driving school.
Is driving school mandatory?
This depends on where you live. For example, in 2010 the Quebec government made it mandatory for new drivers to attend driving school. While driving school usually is not mandatory in other provinces, it does teach the fundamentals of safe driving. And oftentimes you can get a discount on your auto insurance if you can prove you’ve taken driving lessons from an approved school.
How can I teach my teen to be a safe driver?
The best way to teach your teen driver how to drive safely is to lead by example. Kick your own poor driving habits and ensure your teen is aware of the eight leading causes of teenage driving accidents:
- Speeding and reckless driving
- Driving with teen passengers
- Driving at night
- Not using seat belts
- Distracted driving (i.e. texting or talking on the phone)
- Drowsy driving
- Impaired driving
How can we save on insurance with a teen driver?
Sadly, teen drivers often have the highest insurance premiums because they are inexperienced. But that doesn’t mean you can’t try to reduce your insurance. The best ways to save include:
- Listing all drivers in your family under one policy, and list your teenager as an occasional driver.
- Bundling auto insurance with existing home, condo, or other insurance.
- Avoiding purchasing flashy, high-powered vehicles (which usually come with higher insurance premiums).
- Joining isure’s telematics insurance. This innovative program rewards safe driving with reduced premiums based on real-time monitoring of your vehicle.
- Asking your broker about additional discounts.
At the end of the day, a safe driving foundation pays off down the road, for both your insurance and your safety. If you have more questions about setting up a new driver on your policy or driving school discounts, contact us at 1-877-514-7873 or email us at email@example.com.
Tags: Auto Insurance • Driving School • Home insurance Tips