Summer is here! With the hot sun and Canadian humidex, the best part of summer is spending hours outdoors, cooling off in a body of water. If you’re a pool owner or go to a lake at the cottage, it’s essential to have some general water safety awareness – especially if you have little ones! isure has gathered some pool safety and water safety do’s and don’ts to help you get the best out of summer:
Water Safety Dos:
- Use lifejackets instead of water wings, noodles, or other flotation devices in open water.
- Always wear lifejackets on a boat.
- Have readily available flotation devices for weaker swimmers.
- Install gates around your pool if you have young children or pets, and make sure the latches are high enough that they can’t reach.
- Keep pool decks and docks clear of debris.
- Cover pools and hot tubs at night and when not using them for long periods.
- Fence off your pool so someone does not accidentally fall in the water.
- Establish some water rules, such as no running on decks or no diving.
- Keep a first aid kit nearby for any injuries.
- For lakes and oceans, take a look at the water condition or check local websites to see if the water is safe for swimming.
Water Safety Don’ts:
- Leave young children unattended or unsupervised when they are in or around the water.
- Serve alcohol in or around the pool.
- Swim alone
- Drink alcohol and operate a boat.
- Have a glass that may break or other sharp objects in or around pool decks and docks.
- Have your hot tub temperature more than 104° F/40° C, and best keep pregnant women, toddlers, or infants from using it.
- Forget to re-apply sunscreen when lying out in the sun.
- Swim at night or during a storm (especially in lakes).
Other helpful tips for pool and boat owners:
- If you’re a boat owner, you know that it can be a significant investment, and it is essential to have the best insurance coverage. You can easily find the right boat insurance for your craft with isure’s handy guide to boat insurance here.
- Did you know that you might need extra home insurance coverage if you have a pool or hot tub? Pools and hot tubs may increase the risk of a flood in your home. Ask your isure insurance broker about additional umbrella liability coverage for flooding. Call your broker directly or call us toll-free at 1-877-514-7873 or email [email protected]