Travelers Insurance, one of our many isure-approved insurers, just released their latest in driving technology: the IntelliDrive mobile app. “Why is this important to me?” one might ask. Well, it has many cool features, including monitoring your speed, levels of driving distractions and most importantly, helping to save money on your auto insurance. Let isure tell you how.
What is IntelliDrive?
IntelliDrive is a 90-day program that uses a smartphone app to monitor your driving performance. New Travelers customers who enroll can save on their car insurance policy’s first term. It is available in Ontario, effective for any new client policies starting on February 1st. At renewal, safe driving habits can lead to savings of up to 30%, however, riskier driving habits may result in a higher premium. Habits monitored include your speed, acceleration, braking, time of day that you’re driving at and distractions, such as cellphone use.
How does the IntelliDrive app work?
Once installed on your mobile device, the IntelliDrive app will automatically detect when you get into your vehicle and will start a trip. After the 90-day data collection period, it will determine your overall driving performance. Based on the driving performance of you and the other participating drivers on your Travelers insurance policy, your actual adjusted car insurance rate will be reflected the first time your policy renews. After each trip, you can review a map of your route, however, it’s important to note that your insurance rate will not be affected by location data that is collected. In order for the IntelliDrive app to work successfully, your cellular device with the downloaded app needs to be turned on with location services and Wi-Fi enabled. The discount remains on your policy for as long as you have an active policy with Travelers Insurance.
How do I download the IntelliDrive app?
You will receive a text from Travelers with a downloadable link to the app. You can also find the Travelers IntelliDrive app in the app store of your device.
Is the app compatible with my smart phone device?
IntelliDrive is compatible with Apple iPhones 4S and above, but iOS 11.0 or newer is required. All Android phones are supported, but they must contain cellular, Wi-Fi and GPS chips. Android 6 (Marshmallow) or newer is required.
What impact does IntelliDrive have on my insurance premium?
As mentioned before, the performance of each driver on your policy is used to calculate your insurance premium when your policy renews. Your safe driving habits can lead to savings of up to 30%!
How does IntelliDrive score my phone use as a distraction?
While it is never permitted to be using your cellular device while driving, this is one of the most common driving distractions amongst drivers. Any handheld interaction with the phone while driving is going to negatively impact your distraction score within the app, including in-hand phone calls, texting, typing, and tapping on the phone.
Running apps that don’t require you to interact with your phone will not negatively impact the distraction score. For example, if navigation or music is running in the background and you’re not engaging with it, this will not impact your distraction score.
How does IntelliDrive know if I am the driver or a passenger?
The app does its best to determine the difference, however, you have up to 10 days to change the driver/passenger information on a trip.
Additional details about the IntelliDrive app
- You are able to opt out of the Intellidrive program withing 45 days of enrollment if for any reason you are not satisfied with it. If done within this period, it will have no impact on your insurance other than the loss of your participation discount. If after the 45-day-period, your IntelliDrive score may affect your premium at your next renewal if you have driven at least 800 kms.
- If you require more information about the IntelliDrive app, enrolled drivers can visit MyTravelers.com or you will find an informational page in your new policy package.
- All drivers on the policy are encouraged to download the IntelliDrive app. Travelers Insurance will send reminder text messages to each driver that hasn’t installed the app. If the app is not installed by all, the driver may be removed from the program, which would affect your enrollment discount.
- If you buy a new mobile device, simply re-download the IntelliDrive app from your device’s app store and the 90-day program will resume where you left off.
- When it comes to battery usage, the IntelliDrive app “uses a negligible amount of battery when you’re not driving and slightly more when you are taking a trip. Most users won’t notice a significant battery difference after installing the IntelliDrive app.” The IntelliDrive app is also designed to minimize data usage.
If you require more information about the IntelliDrive app, call Travelers Insurance at 1.888.505.1217.