The FSRA (Financial Services Regulatory Authority of Ontario) requires all Ontario insurance companies to provide a winter tire insurance discount for drivers who install winter tires. At isure, we think this is a great opportunity to reward drivers who invest in safe driving with lower car insurance rates. Winter tires provide better traction and handling in cold weather driving conditions, like frost, icy roads, snow and slush. Better traction means the chances of getting into an accident are reduced, and fewer car crashes means lower car insurance rates (2-5% depending on the insurance company.) Most insurance companies require that winter tires be on your vehicle from November through April. We advise that you keep all of your winter tire purchase and installation receipts, as these may be required by the insurance company.
Did you know?
- Winter tires can shorten your braking distance by as much as 25% because of the added traction!
- Ontario’s accident benefits coverage is the most generous among provinces with private marketplace systems. Less accidents means fewer injuries and lower car insurance premiums for everyone!
Winter tire buying tips from the Ministry of Transportation
- Look for the peaked mountain with a snowflake logo on the tire.
- For best results, always install winter tires in sets of four.
- Regularly check the winter tires’ air pressure. Colder weather can bring your tire pressure down, which makes it harder to drive safely.
- Never mix different tread patterns or size tires.
- Replace worn tires or ones that are close to the tread-wear indicators.
How to get the winter tire insurance discount
Each insurer will have different discounts and rules around the winter tire insurance discount. However, the Ontario government notes that you need to have winter tires installed on all four wheels to qualify, not all-season tires. Why? All-season tires can start to lose grip at 7 degrees Celsius.
Are you an isure customer?
Let us know that you have winter tires and we will ensure that you receive the winter tire insurance discount. Additionally, we encourage all isure customers to ask us about our free tire coverage through isure-approved CAA Insurance because in the event that a road hazard damages your tires, this free coverage will protect you.
If you are not an isure customer, give us a call and we will happily check the market to find you the car insurance company with the best winter tire insurance discount.